Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Empty Expectation

This past week I spent in Akron, PA for an orientation at the headquarters of Mennonite Central Committee. Gathered here with me were about 70 other participants of my program from the U.S. and Canada as well as about 70 participants of a partner program called I.V.E.P. Participants of the Serving and Learning Together program are those from the U.S. and Canada going to international locations all over the world. Those in the International Volunteer Exchange Program are international volunteers coming to the U.S and Canada. For one week, young adults from 30 different countries and 5 continents lived together on this campus on the outskirts of Lancaster, Pennsylvania. There's something to be said for that. The thing is- you're either coming or going, so.

A lot of speaking in order to essentially say that you're expectations will not. Around the world or next door, no matter. I want to get in that plane, and I want the pilot to turn to his co-pilot, and I want him to say, "Where would you like to go today, Earl?" and believe me when I say that I am just about as prepared for Guam as Guatemala. Maybe Earl needs a vacation. But Bob and Earl- they have authority in these matters. So wherever Earl said, I would go. And I'd believe him when he told me that he could get us there.

We've talked about goals. I'd like to stay alive. It's not a requirement, though, for the universe. Guatemala City in elections month. Total Lockdown. Government corruption. Assassinations. Permanently culture-shocked ex-pats. University districts. Mudslide barrios.

I feel like I'm obligated to fill in the blank space with best guesses and educated assessments. All the while they're filling in the gaps with this Christian merrymaking, a sure dangerous disillusioning facade. Or not so sure.

But what judgments to make? The country is green and the people are brown. Failsafe right?

So then where am I going? Amidst a lack of distinguishing characteristics- anywhere and everywhere and nowhere, all at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment